History of Coyoacán
"Place of the Coyotes" or "Place of those who Have and Venerate Coyotes", in the Nahuatl language. The inhabitants of this sector on the southern shore of Lake Texcoco were ethnic Tecpaneca people. They were farmers and also lapidary artists specialized in volcanic stone carving extracted from the neighboring scree, formed by the eruption of Xitle volcano, centuries ago.
Cortés founded the first town hall in the Valley of Mexico here. It is known that he had a residence here, but only vestiges were left that were transferred to the cabildo building, which people call Casa de Cortés although it was built in 1755.
In Coyoacán some viceroyal buildings are conserved, but most of the palaces, manor houses and rustic adobe houses correspond to nineteenth century forms and many are replicas built during the twentieth century. Neighbors and authorities have taken pains to preserve in the neighborhood the appearance of being "frozen in time", which includes myths and anecdotes that range from stories of apparitions to events attributed to international personalities of art and politics that have lived in this neighborhood.
If we add a vast cultural, gastronomic, commercial and entertainment offer, then Coyoacán becomes one of the most attractive places in the city. It is unthinkable to stop visiting it.